Canada Day Weekend is fast approaching and the Saskatoon Whitewater Kayak Club is excited to once again be hosting their Family Whitewater Weekend!!!!
This year we will be travelling to the Curson Ranch west of Innisfail, AB to spend the weekend paddling some of Central Alberta’s best whitewater spots.
This family weekend is open to all paddlers no matter the age or style of boat you choose to paddle:) There will be WHITEWATER KAYAK instruction available for those who wish to partake for a fee (TBA) or feel free to utilize our fabulous location to go paddle some local lakes and rivers on your own.
Due to the fact that our club members here in Saskatoon have had limited access to whitewater this spring due to flooded conditions, we will be starting off easy and working our way up.
Instructed group schedule looks like this:
Friday, July 1
– AM – Innisfail – Little Red Deer River – Site 17 to Rge Rd 24
– PM – Innisfail – Red Deer River – Dickson Dam to Take Out Farm
Saturday, July 2
– AM – Rocky Mountain House – North Saskatchewan River – Train Bridge to The Briarlies
– PM – Rocky Mountain House – North Saskatchewan River – Option TBD
Sunday, July 3
– AM – Sundre – Red Deer River – Double Ledge to Coal Camp Ledge
– PM – Sundre – Red Deer River – Option TBD
Monday, July 4
– AM – Kananaskis – Kananaskis River – Widow Maker to Race Course
– PM – Kananaskis – Kananaskis River – Option TBD
Tuesday, July 5
– Kananaskis River or Red Deer River (Sundre) – Slalom Day
Once again, it is not a requirement to take part in the instructed group, if you want to join us for the weekend and paddle on your own please don’t let us hold you back. We will be located within 30 minutes of some of Alberta’s best whitewater rivers so don’t hesitate to join us for this tremendous family fun oriented weekend!!!
– The Curson Ranch is located 25 kms west of Innisfail just South of the Cottonwood Rd on Rge Rd 25. There is a fully functioning house with kitchen and a large yard with pleanty of tenting space. If you have a trailer then you may want to book a spot at Red Lodge Provincial Park just down the road from us.
– For those of you who are staying at the Curson Ranch food will be POT LUCK. We will all be pitching in for purchasing food and I encourage you to show off your culinary skills!! As we have the house, cooking supplies are optional but you do have access to our kitchen. If you want to cook on your own please feel free to do so. If you are local and just want to join us during the day please supply your own food.
– Unless you are a member of our club and have already confirmed equipment with me you must provide your own equipment. I do have some extra gear in case of emergency.
– We will try to car-pool as much as possible so everyone can get to where they want to go.
– FIRES ARE TO BE LIMITED TO THE FIRE PIT AND KEPT SMALL. We are in the middle of a forest and the whole community os effected by fires. Please don’t burn down my house.
– This is a family event and there will be kids present so please limit any use of alcohol to a reasonable amount. I also have wonderful neighbours who don’t need to hear a drunken party. If you choose to bring drugs anywhere near my house I will choose to call the police. We are a family club and are always willing to share our fun family experiences with others but please respect the our club values.
– Safety on the river is our biggest concern so if you go paddling in your own group please practise safe boating
Please let me know if you plan to attend. Also please let me know if you want to take part in the instructed group so I can plan for numbers.
Pleas pass this information along to anyone you feel would be interested.
Hope to see you there!!!
SWKC Program Director